WE ALL HAVE GOALS that are important to us. They range from quitting smoking, to creating our own businesses, to raising great kids. Unfortunately, most of us also have the experience of being unable to reach our goals, of having them always seem just out of reach. Almost like magic! They will help you reach your goals, every time!
- Precisely define the objective. Exactly what do you want? Measure it, put a number on it. How many dollars do you want to lose? How many dollars do you want to earn.
- Align the objective with your values. You won’t work toward a goal that conflicts with your values or sense of purpose. Make sure your goals are consistent with your religious and moral beliefs and with other goals that you have.
- Develop appropriate affirmations. A series of positive, powerful, present tense statements that describe the benefits of having your goal and how you’ll feel when you’ve reached it are essential. Write them down and repeat them many times, every day!
- Develop powerful reasons to achieve your goals. “If you have enough why’s, you’ll find a way.” We reach goals that excite us, that stimulate our imaginations. We reach goals that are vital to our health, our family and our future. Find lots of reasons! When it’s important enough, you’ll make it happen.
- Write your goals and your reasons down! Write them on file cards every day. There is power, magic and mystery in writing your goals down. Put the cards where you’ll see them through the day. Put them on your mirror, or on your desk. Carry them with you and read them, over and over, through the day
Adapted from an article by Top Tips Weekly