- Performance – is happening now or has happened – measured via your KPIs.
- Potential – is a thing that will happen in the future – measured with tools such as DISC & Aptitude Assessments.
- Low Potential & Low Performance – if you have too many of these people in your business, you cannot hope to achieve your goals – they could be ‘on the bus for the ride’. Seek advice regarding Performance Counseling, Disciplinary Procedures and possible Removal.
- High Potential & Low Performance – the people have the potential to be high performers, but they are not currently doing so – Why aren’t they engaged? Do they need coaching and counseling in the present role or could their potential be taped by re-allocating them?
- High Potential & High Performance – these people are your Stars now and into the future. Do what you need to do to retain them. Ensure they know what your succession plan is, develop them further, mentor them, have them network with influential people – they should receive your personal focus.
- High Performance & Low Potential – be very wary of the classic leadership failure – promoting these people beyond their capability/potential. Yes you want to retain them, but ideally in roles where they can perform to their potential. Be aware that if all of your business performers fit into this quadrant, your long-term viability is at risk.
- Do I know where my people fit in the Performance Vs. Potential Matrix?
- Do I have the right people, in the right places, performing the right tasks?
- What’s stopping me doing something about this?